Saturday, June 12, 2010

Observing the Classroom


Yesterday morning the group went to the St. Andrews site to observe some of the teachers and students in their classrooms. We've had a full week of getting to know St. Andrews as a community partner, learning what their vision is and how they see this program. This coming week, we start teaching! I think most of us are nervous, but excited. Although we can see that we're going to have our hands full for the next 7 weeks, I think it will be very rewarding throughout the process. St. Andrews is allowing us to make this project our own. My group has been brainstorming the lesson plans, ideas for projects, teaching methods, etc., but I feel that we're most anxious to finally meet the students we'll be teaching.

Observing the classroom yesterday was extremely helpful. I learned a lot of methods which worked and didn't work. Patience is definitely key. The teacher explained to us that patience is something we'll have to put into practice. One thing I noticed was that the girls were much more eager to answer questions than the guys. The teacher constantly had the students talking, which is excellent I think, especially for language classes. There is only so much we can do before meeting the students and getting to know what they would like to learn until we meet them. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, Zuri. I can't wait to learn more about how its going!

    ReplyDelete